SCCM | Creating a silent deployment Office 2016
Deploying office through System Center is a really easy task, quite simply because Microsoft have embedded a installer customization wizard to complete every task you could want to achieve when installing office. The below steps can also be used for a upgrade as the installer will remove the previous version and install 16 apps. Be aware though that applications like infopath will remain.
Before importing anything into SCCM, ensure you have the ISO of the Office 2016 installer. Your want to extract the ISO so you have the raw installer. This can easily be achieved by the use of 7Zip (can be downloaded off of the internet).
After the ISO has been extracted, follow the below video to create the admin file ready to be imported into SCCM.
Once you have the admin file, you can now work through importing the application into SCCM.
Open up your SCCM console and navigate down to Applications through the side navigation bar. Once at Applications, click the ‘Create Application’ button located in the top left hand corner.
Follow the wizard:
- Manually specify the application information, Next
- Complete the Name and other additional information if required, Next
- Add a name, icon etc for the application catalog (optional), Next
- Add a deployment type
- Ensure to select ‘Script Installer’
- Give a name and description for the script installer, Next
- Make sure you have copied the office installer contents to a share which SCCM has permissions to access. Enter the location of the installer in the content location field. Fill in the Installation Program field with the below, placing the name of the MSP file previously created.
setup.exe /adminfile “Office 16 Test Run No Skype.msp”
- Click next. Now configure a detection method. I usually would configure a rule to check whether or not the office16 folder exists within the Programs Files folder. I know there is other methods but for simplicity i’ll use this one.
- Complete the wizard
- Ensure a collection has been created to target the deployment
- Begin the deployment wizard
- Input the collection name, Next
- Select the appropriate distribution points if not already distributed
- Select whether to force installation or give the option to the user
- Complete the wizard with the desired settings and your deployment will begin showing up within Software Center.